This page reports the status of upcoming services and activities at Goodloe Memorial Unitarian Universalist Congregation, 1540C Pointer Ridge Place, Bowie, MD.
Please check this page if weather or other conditions are such that cancellation or delay are likely.
GOODLOE MEMORIAL UU CONGREGATION
BOARD POLICY NO. 7
INCLEMENT WEATHER POLICY
Replaced 3 Mar 2009
1. The following policy will apply whenever weather or other
conditions could prevent our congregation from holding
scheduled services or any other activity or event. These
● Winter storms: snow, ice, sleet, freezing rain, icy roads, etc.
● Water-related problems: hurricane, flooding, etc.
● Building problems: power outage, leaking roof, etc.
2. Responsibility for determining whether a Goodloe activity will be
cancelled or moved to another location resides with:
● The convener or chair of a committee meeting, social event, or
other activity that is not a regularly-scheduled
● For a regularly scheduled worship service, the following
persons will confer with each other in making the decision
whether or not to cancel services:
○ President or, in his/her absence, the Vice President
○ Worship Committee Chair
○ Leader of the service
○ Director of Religious Education or RE chair
3. In the event that any condition exists that could interfere with
holding a regularly-scheduled worship service, the President
● Contact the person scheduled to lead the service (the
minister, lay leader or visiting presenter) to determine
whether that person will be arriving as planned
4. In the event that the President, Minister or Worship Chair
determines that a regularly-scheduled service should be
cancelled or moved to another location, he/she shall immediately
notify the following people by phone:
● The email administrator who will send out an email message
to the congregation
● The webmaster who will post a notice on the Goodloe
● DRE – who will notify all teachers scheduled that day
● Choir Director – who will notify all choir members
● Set-up crew
In addition, the President shall:
● Record a new outgoing message on the answering machine
5. In the event that the convener or chair determines that the event
or activity should be moved or cancelled, he/she shall
● If the event is a congregation-wide or public event
○ Notify the email administrator who will send out an email
message to the congregation
○ Record a new outgoing message on the answering machine.
● If the event is a regularly scheduled meeting and the group
has elected to follow the inclement weather policy of a
county group (e.g., Prince George’s County School System),
no notification is necessary for inclement weather.
● If the event is not congregation-wide and no county
inclement weather policy is selected or the reason for
cancelation is not due to weather, notify all planned
participants of the decision.
6. Inform the congregation annually in the autumn of the inclement weather policy.